Thursday, August 03, 2006

Dearth of posts this week

As CAP's horoscope for Scorpios implies (see below), I'm rather tired right now. Alright, I'll be honest - I'm burned out. I had too many late nights in a row finishing a giant grant application and I'm now so burned out I haven't been reading at all! The horror...

I'm cottage bound tomorrow am, to take part in the annual Canadian tradition of retreating to a cottage when temperatures soar, tempers fray and peace and loon calls become a necessity. (For those not in possession of a family cottage, we cling to friends who have the coveted trophy, hoping and begging for an invitation.)

Since I am going to a cottage with other people, I will have to limit the number of books I bring since some social interaction is required. I'm hopeful that the chance to catch up on some sleep, and read while looking at the lake, will lead to lots of reading. This requires careful consideration and planning. I have a lot of reading that "has to get done" for reviews but a cottage implies fun reading.

After much pondering, here's what I've packed:
1. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka
2. The Great Deluge: Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans, and the Mississippi Gulf Coast by Douglas Brinkley
3. The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by Gordon Dahlquist
4. A Peach of a Murder: A Fresh-Baked Mystery by Livia Washburn
5. The Ravaging Tide: Strange Weather, Future Katrinas, and the Coming Death of America's Coastal Cities by Mike Tidwell
6. The Dead Fish Museum: Stories by Charles D'Ambrosio
7. Sins and Needles by Monica Ferris

No comments: