Saturday, May 06, 2006

18th Annual Elora Festival Book Sale

What a morning! Despite the cold wind and periodic drizzle, the crowd queued to get into the sale was quite long. We arrived about an hour and a quarter before the doors opened and were still about 50th in line. By the time the doors opened, the line snaked around the parking lot and had about 150 people in it.

The Elora Festival Book Sale raises money for the Elora Music Festival and, I think, is the best book sale in this area. So it goes into my calendar as soon as I get a new one each year.

So what did I buy? Well I should start by saying that I was on a much tighter budget this year so I was only able to spend half of what I did last year.

The Haul
8 books from my wish list
- House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski
- Merde Actually by Stephen Clarke
- Publish and Perish by James Hynes
- The Sex Life of my Aunt by Mavis Cheek
- Lucifer's Shadow by David Hewson
- The American Boy by Andrew Taylor
- River of the Brokenhearted by David Adams Richards
- Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

3 Hardcovers to replace my paperback copies
- A Whistling Woman by A.S. Byatt
- Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco
- The Light Years by Elizabeth Jane Howard

11 other books

Total? 22 books for $54.75!

Next year my plan is to be there when it opens for the initial pickings, have lunch and then go back in the afternoon for a more leisurely perusal.

So reserve May 5 & 6, 2007 for next year's sale!

5 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

I am drooling over your selection of books from the festival, Janelle! I will have to mark off those dates on my calender for next year - such a pity it's a whole year away! :(

Janelle Martin said...

I know! Too bad it is only once a year but I suspect that is why the selection is so good.

kimbofo said...

Oh my, what a brilliant haul! And for such a great price!

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»