Saturday, May 27, 2006

Thoughts on a Saturday

There is something about being wide awake at 3 am that makes getting up at 5:30 am rather difficult - so my day started without much sleep. It was already a busy morning at the Mennonite Relief Sale when I arrived shortly before 7 am. The plant tent had done some pretty brisk business on Friday night, selling over $2,000 of plants in a few short hours. The tables were looking rather picked over but more plant donations kept arriving throughout the morning so we were busy pricing and selling house plants, perennials and vegetables/herbs.

I picked up several new house plants: a really healthy coffee plant, a philodendron, Dracaena and a tiny baby palm. Hopefully I be able to find them all the proper light and humidity to keep them healthy.

I've spent most of the rest of my time reading and will have some new reviews to post as soon as they are posted on the review websites. David Long's new novel The Inhabited World causes a lot of reflection and Mark Childress returns to small-town life in the south of the 1970's in One Mississippi. Both will be out in early July.

For pure kooky fun, grab Shanna Swendson's Once Upon Stilettos, as ArmchairInterviews.com says, it's chick lit for the Buffy and Bewitched crowd.

Next on the reading pile? The Stolen Child by Keith Donohue, Ticknor by Sheila Heti and The Dodecahedron by Paul Glennon.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I'm assuming that's the coffee plant in the coffee cup? Is it possible that you'll actually get coffee from it someday?!

Janelle Martin said...

Yes, that's the coffee plant. Unfortunately it won't give me coffee beans unless I move to the tropics! ;)