Thursday, June 01, 2006

Paul Auster wins Spain's 2006 Prince of Asturias Prize for Literature

I saw this today on Rake's Progress:
Paul Auster, author of novels including "Mr. Vertigo" and "The New York Trilogy," has won Spain's Prince of Asturias Prize for Literature for 2006, the prize giving foundation said on its Web site.

Auster, 59, also writes poetry and has written screenplays for movies including "Smoke" and "Blue in the Face." He is considered one of the "most relevant" U.S. authors of his generation, the Prince of Asturias Foundation said.

His work "creates a literary universe around chance and the search for identity, where reality and fantasy invade people's every day space," according to the foundation.
Congratulations to Paul Auster. I really enjoy his work and I was lucky enough to read and review The Brooklyn Follies last fall.

6 comments:

Rebecca Jane said...

Thank you for your post. I am also an Auster fan, and I'm reading Brooklyn Follies now. Where can I find your review of it? The New York Times review was not so flattering.

Janelle Martin said...

Hi Rebecca Jane - you can find my review here -> http://www.armchairinterviews.com/reviews/categories/fiction/the_brooklyn_follies.php

It was in my top ten reads of 2005 (I got to read an advance copy). I know others gave it a iffy review but I thought it was fantastic.

Rebecca Jane said...

Janelle,
Thanks for the link. I appreciate your review; it's like your own homage to lives that vanish. Nice work. What are you reviewing/reading these days?

Janelle Martin said...

Thanks so much Rebecca Jane - you have me blushing.

I have a few recent reviews to post here in the next few days. Curently I'm reading for review:

1. Ticknor by Sheila Heti
2. When the Rivers Run Dry by Fred Pearce
3. The Secrets of Judas by James M. Robinson
4. The Dodecahedron Or a Frame for Frames by Paul Glennon

Tons of interesting stuff!

kimbofo said...

Oh, I didn't know this. Thanks. I'm a new Paul Auster convert. I read New York Trilogy last year and loved it. Am currently waiting for Brooklyn Follies to be released in trade paperback format...

Janelle Martin said...

I've got New York Trilogy on my pile to "read again soon". I was inspired by the new edition that Penguin put out as part of their Deluxe classic line. My next "listen to in the car" is Illumination Night so I'm pretty excited.