Thursday, June 15, 2006

Report from Book Expo Canada, Part Two

I've done a first wade through the publishers' catalogues (and I should state here that I don't have nearly all of them) and on first impression - it's going to be an exciting fall. At first glance I'm not seeing a lot of "big name" authors but again that could be because I didn't pick up catalogues from a lot of the publishers (I can only carry so much before I become more of a stooped wreck than I already am). Some of the publishers are mailing the catalogues to me and for the rest I'll probably peruse their fall lines on their websites.

This is all in preface to this disclaimer: These are the books which I personally am looking forward to hearing more about and perhaps reading. This is in no way a reflection on what I think is going to be a big hit this fall nor am I suggesting that any author is publishing a "bad" book by not listing it here.

Okay, with all that stuff out of the way, here is the beginning of my list. I'll probably post this over several days because there are a lot of books (more than I could possibly read between now and the end of the year to be honest).

Raincoast Books
* Atomic Sushi by Simon May (August 2006)
* Terry Jones' Barbarians by Terry Jones & Alan Ereira (August 2006)
* Windflower: a Novel by Nick Bantock & Edoardo Ponti (August 2006)
* The Museum of Lost Wonder: a Graphic Guide to Reawakening the Human Imagination by Jeff Hoke (September 2006)
* Reading, Writing, and Leaving Home: Life on the Page by Lynn Freed (September 2006)
* Remainder by Tom McCarthy (September 2006)
* So Many Ways to Begin by Jon McGregor (September 2006)
* Empress of Asia: a Novel by Adam Lewis Schroeder (October 2006)
* The Joke's Over: Bruised Memories of Gonzo: Hunter S. Thompson and Me by Ralph Steadman (October 2006)
* The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia (October 2006)
* Zugzwang: a Novel by Ronan Bennett (January 2007)

Farrar, Strauss and Giroux
* Was She Pretty? by Leanne Shapton (November 2006)

Coach House Books
* Miss Lamp: a Novel by Chris Ewart (already in print)
* King by Tanya Chapman (October 2006)
* The River of Dead Trees: a Novel by Andree A. Michaud; Translated by Nathalie Stephens (October 2006)

The Dundurn Group
* The Restoration of Emily: a Novel by Kim Moritsugu (already in print)
* Does Your Mother Know by Maureen Jennings (September 6, 2006)
* Deadly Sin: a Chief Inspector Bliss Mystery by James Hawkins (January 2007)
* A Sharp Intake of Breath by John Miller (January 6, 2007)

Vehicule Press
* Dead Man's Float by Nicholas Maes (August 2006)
* Optique: Stories by Clayton Bailey (September 2006)

Fitzhenry & Whiteside
* Keturah & Lord Death by Martine Leavitt (August 2006)

Simon & Schuster Canada
* Palestine: Peace or Apartheid? by Jimmy Carter (October 2006)
* The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly (November 2006)
* American Bloomsbury: Louise May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Margaret Fuller, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Henry David Thoreau: Their Lives, Their Loves, Their Work by Susan Cheever (December 2006)
* Gideon the Cutpurse: Being the First Part of the Gideon Trilogy by Linda Buckley-Archer (already in print)


tags:

8 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Janelle, thank you, thank you for the list! This is so exciting, so much good reading to look forward to. At first glance, "Empress of Asia", "River of Dead Trees" and the Jimmy Carter book on Palestine caught my attention, but I will be back to go through each book individually.

Thanks again, it is so nice of you to share!

Janelle Martin said...

Stay tuned, there is more to come. I have a lot more catalogues to go through yet!

karen! said...

Sounds like you had a great time and found out about a lot of cool books!
:D

Janelle Martin said...

I had a great time and yes, found out about lots of great books that will be released over the next six months.

I have a few other books for review to finish and then I`ll be starting on some of the books picked up at BEC.

Stay tuned for more lists tomorrow night.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I love your list of "to be read"s.

I did the opposite. As usual at BookExpo I ended up with a stack of books I'm going to release. So I setup a "controlled release" and am offering them up to anyone who wants them.

I'm looking forward to your reviews.

Janelle Martin said...

What a great idea Lex! I might just have to "borrow" your idea with a few of the books I know I'm not going to get to right away. Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

"borrow" away. What the heck use the button too. Have fun.

Janelle Martin said...

You're welcome Monique. I enjoyed looking through the catalogues and pulling together the lists. Glad to hear you found something of interest.