Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Report from Book Expo Canada

I've been meaning to post this since Monday night but I think I required a bit of time to digest everything I observed.

First off, even though Monday was supposedly "slow", compared to Sunday, at Book Expo Canada (BEC) I was amazed at how many people were around. The place was hopping and there were many well-known authors available for for signings - Guy Gavriel Kay, Brad Meltzer, Tommy Chong.

I have to admit that standing in the long lines for autographs did not appeal, so I focused on visiting the smaller presses for author signings and took the opportunity of the "quieter" day to visit with a few of the publicists and get a handle on some of the exciting offerings for summer and fall.

Here's what I'm going to be reading for review over the next few months (reviews to come later) in anticipation of summer and early fall releases:
1. Conduct in Question by Mary E. Martin (in print, sequel to be released shortly)
2. The Abode of Love: Growing Up in a Messianic Cult by Kate Barlow (September 8, 2006 from Goose Lane Editions)
3. Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett (October 2006 from Harper Collins)
4. The Uncrowned Queen by Posie Graeme-Evans (June 6, 2006 from Atria)
5. The Garneau Block by Todd Babiak (August 15, 2006 from McClelland & Stewart)
6. Drina Bridge by Jim Bartley (July 11, 2006 from Raincoast Books)
7. The 25 Pains of Kennedy Baines by Dede Crane (August 10, 2006 from Raincoast Books)
8. Before I Wake by Robert J. Wiersema (August 8, 2006 from Random House)
9. The Book of Fathers by Miklos Vamos (July 25, 2006 from Abacus)
10. The Testament Of Gideon Mack by James Robertson (September 5, 2006 from Penguin)

I'll be posting further updates with information on other Summer and Fall releases once I get a chance to peruse all the publisher's catalogues.

My overall impression? There are many really exciting books being released from small and large publishers alike. It's a great time to be a reader!

7 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Wow, you lucky girl! I have always wanted to visit the book expo, but it's not open to the public, is it?

If you think of any other books you saw that struck you as well worth reading (even if you won't be reviewing them) I'd love to know the titles, thanks!

Janelle Martin said...

Yes, I was very lucky! It isn't open to the public, I got in through my reviewer status.

I will definitely be putting a list of my "picks" here once I get through everything I brought home with me.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I wouldn't have stood in a long line for an autograph, myself, but think of how good it made those authors feel!

Glad it's been fun so far. Can't wait to hear what else you've learned.

Kate S. said...

I enjoyed my stint at BookExpo Canada as well. I thought perhaps we'd come away with all the same books for review but it looks like there are only two overlapping items on our respective lists: Abode of Love and Before I Wake. I look forward to hearing what you think of them and the rest of your list once you've read your way through it!

Janelle Martin said...

Thanks Kate! I'll be interested to see the list of what you picked up as well.

I do wish I had been able to be there on Friday for the all-day session and on Sunday as well, as there seem to have been different review copies available then.

We will definitely have to compare notes on Abode of Love and Before I Wake.

Marci said...

The one that caught my eye was The Uncrowned Queen by Posie Graeme-Evans, which has been published under another title (The Beloved) in the USA. Grrr. I hate wehn they do that.

Sounds like book expo was an experience. Now hurry up and READ!

Anonymous said...

Actually The Uncrowned Queen is the US title. I believe The Beloved is the title they're using overseas. :)